Lifting & Slinging operations on construction and engineering sites are carried out worldwide on a daily basis. Unfortunately, the results when things go wrong can be both dangerous and catastrophic to lives and equipment.
The aim of this course is to enhance the skills of the course participants to the recognised industry standards, who perform Lifting & Slinging activities using Lifting Equipment and Lifting Accessories. This includes understanding the requirements of the Safe Use of Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER).
- Safety standards and legislation relating to slinging
- Testing, storing, and using chain and synthetic slings and wire rope slings, emphasising safe working methods
- The basic principles of handling moving loads
- Using eye bolts and shackles etc. when lifting
- Appreciation of working with cranes and the correct use of hand signals
- Calculating weights and centres of gravity loads
Practical Slinging and Operating – The Principle of Slinging
- Estimating the weights of various objects – the seen and hidden factors affecting the weights
- Selection of correct equipment
- Correct use of sling angles
- Safe working load
- Checking of slings
- Centre of gravity of the load
- Correct load distribution
- Accident prevention
Assessment is through individual and group exercises.