Abrasive Wheels – Fixed & Portable
[ Full Day ]
This Abrasive Wheels course is designed for personnel who need to set up and use both fixed and portable grinding machines.
It will provide candidates with the information and training to ensure the correct selection, mounting, maintenance and use of abrasive and cutting wheels/discs on fixed or portable grinding machines. On completion of this training course, candidates should have a robust understanding of the types of abrasive wheels and discs in their workplace and techniques required to inspect maintain and replace abrasive wheels/discs.
- What an abrasive wheel is
- Legislation and guidance
- Common hazards
- Mechanical hazards – contact, breakage, ejection and entanglement
- Non-mechanical hazards – vibration, noise, dust, electricity
- Selection and handling
- Operating speeds
- Restrictions on use
- Mounting a wheel, both new and used
- Handling and storage
- Safe use of abrasive wheels
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
Assessment is through individual and group exercises and an end-of-course multiple-choice test.